The main reason I am taking this class is because I will have a software engineering oriented internship this summer, and I would like some formal training in software engineering from this course. With that being said; my expectations for the course are that I want to be challenged with relatively large scale team projects that are similar to real-world industry projects, I want to develop better technical skills related to software engineering, and I would like to become more experienced with properly testing the software I develop to encourage a more efficient workflow with less time searching for bugs.
This past week I was given a basic orientation and overview of the class structure and technologies we will be using. On the second class day, we also worked on some introductory Python concepts such as assert statements, running Python scripts, and importing Python libraries. I spent some of my own time outside of class reviewing Python and preparing for the quiz.
What obstacles are in my way going into next week.
I still need to get my textbooks for the course which include Extreme Programming Installed, Database Design with UML and SQL, and Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code. Also, I would feel much more prepared for the coming weeks if I spent some time practicing and reviewing Python on my own. I plan to work on some Python concepts that we won't be discussing in class in order to gain some elevated understanding.
What I will do next week.
The main things I will be focusing on next week is reviewing Python on my own, practicing on HackerRank to improve my Python mastery, and hopefully getting an early start on the first project for the course which is due the following week. I also will spend some time reviewing for the daily quizzes.
My experience of the class so far.
So far I have not had enough taste for what this class has to offer to properly rate my experience. I did enjoy the first real day of lectures in which we covered the basics of Python. I learned a few tricks about Python that I did not know before and also got a good feel for what to expect in lectures for the rest of the semester. I think I will really enjoy the lectures in this course and am expecting to get a lot out of them.
Pick-of-the-week!
I have been reading through this excellent book covering the basics of web development with Ruby on Rails (https://www.railstutorial.org/book/beginning). The entire book is posted online for free by the author, and Ruby on Rails is a very interesting tool for web development that has led to some very cool software projects on the web. The book is online for free, so there is no reason not to at least skim it to learn some cool Ruby on Rails concepts!
Side note, don’t wait until the night before to do the blog posts for this course. If you want to really have time to reflect on what you have done throughout the week, do the blog post in little bits throughout the week, and then review at the end of the week to solidify your writing and understanding of the week’s material.
No comments:
Post a Comment